Language

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 07:37:14 PDT 2003

Jack Corcoran wrote:
>I've been watching one our Listers trying to get
>meaningful info on the SW for the GV 19.2 modem and,
>needless to say, have been highly disappointed by the
>tone and content of the wise-ass replies, most of
>which was neither helpful nor necessary

Exxcuuuuuuuuuuuuse me? Most of the disappointing tone and content you've
been reading was written by said Lister, not by respondents. Even with
less-than-nice replies from said Lister to every post what didn't _hand_
him the exact item for which he searched, another respondent correctly
pointed out said Lister continued to get what were intended to be helpful
pointers.

However, I have to say I'm somewhat reluctant to try to help those who
don't appreciate the time and thought spent trying to help them solve
their problem. Even a short intending-to-be-helpful-response takes
someone's attention. If that reply isn't helpful, it would seem easier to
ignore it and move on than post a response pointing out how unhelpful was
that person's time and thought and attention. There's surely something to
the old maxim that if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing.

And Mr. Corcoran since you bring up the subject of being helpful . . .
while we were all thrilled with your generous offer (posted to the list
of course) to send floppies of the needed SW, consider your offer doesn't
really help anyone else unless of course you are offering to mail
floppy-copies to anyone/everyone who asks. I'm sure said Lister isn't the
only user who may need that SW. Posting a public source for the SW helps
_anyone_ to get it, now and in the future. Yeah, I forgot to mention the
'update-needs-tomeviewer-thing', but I did correct in a subsequent post
which anyone searching the archives would hopefully find.

just my $78.39,

Dan K

PS: one of my own many failings -> I tire easily of the humorless
ungrateful. (Ooops, that's probably not be a super-nice thing to say, but
who the shoes fit probably won't recognize their own feet anyway. :-)

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500