Duo 270C

Greg M pailface88 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 05:38:02 PDT 2003

> Have a Duo 270C with a dock (haven't yet tried the dock) and its been
>
> sitting there for a while since the trackball is very sticky, the
> cursor
> doesn't move much at all unless I move it lightning fast, still it
> doens't work most of the times, what can I do to fix the trackball?
> tried getting the ball out but it's so hard.  I used to have a 230
> that
> the trackball would come appart  easy, how can I get it out without
> damaging it?  I can't get it out no matter what like someone put glue
> in
> the plastic  to keep the ball in place? (I wonder)

If you remove the entire palmrest it is then easy to grasp the
trackball retainer ring. This can be done very easily and quickly if
you use the correct procedure. Below is something I wrote some time ago
describing Duo dissassembly (ie "dissing a duo")

First remove the battery and remove all FOUR torx screws in the bottom
of the duo. Three hold the keyboard and the fourth helps to hold the
upper case (palmrest). With the screws removed, set the duo on the
table
as if you were using it. You should be able to lift up the keyboard by
putting a flat blade of sorts under the spacebar (or other keys in the
front row) and lifting it up. Now you can flip the keyboard upside down
in such a manner that you can access where its two flat cables plug
into
the motherboard. On the left and the right side of each of these two
cable sockets is a small "catch" of sorts. You must use a small object
and carefully slide the catches forward (towards the screen. They are
only going to slide about 1 millimeter and they can be stiff, so you
want to use a tool and a procedure such that you will not accidentally
slip and destroy other components. Once these catches (ears) are slid
forward you should be able to gently pull the flat ribbon cables out of
their sockets. FYI, the way that these little catches work is they are
an
integral part of a flat wedge shaped piece of plastic which simply
wedges the ribbon cables snug against the metal contacts in the
sockets.

Now with keyboard out of the way you must remove the two hinge cover
end
caps. They simply slide onto the end of the hinge. No glue is used but
they have little inaccessible plastic nubs that catch in a slot under
the end caps. Anyway, turn the computer such that one of the hinge end
caps is pointing towards you. Then  use two small, flat bladed
screwdrivers
to get behind the end of the cap and with your thumbs on the computer
pull/slide the end cap straight out. If they have never been off they
can
be a bit difficult. If done with a little care they won't break and can
simply be slide back on when your done. I do this with the screen
straight up.

Now for the remainder, you want the screen opened up all they way.

If you look inside the battery compartment you will see that the
upper case is attached to the lower case (on the left edge of the
computer as it sits on the table in a position as though you are
typing)
with a simple plastic catch (molded to the case).  You can put your
finger in the battery compartment in such a way that you gently lift
the
upper case up and to the left. This will release the little plastic
catch. This catch is right at the opening of the battery compartment on
the left edge of the computer. All this can be done gently with
virtually no risk of breakage if done carefully.

Once you have the top of the computer starting to come apart from
the bottom, you kinda work around the computer in a clockwise direction
lifting the top cover off. Start at the battery compartment and lift
the
left side upwards. Then with your finger under the top case edge
continue lifting near the screen area. It may seem like something is
going to break but I have done this many times to many duo's and it
never breaks. Just be gentle, wiggle and you will be alright. Continue
lifting the top case away from the bottom case as you go from left to
right under the screen area. The stiffest part is when you get to the
right hand side near the Power On button. But lift and wiggle slightly
and it will come.
Greg