UltraDock 16sc - making CD drive work?

Marc Sira toh at victoria.tc.ca
Sat Mar 1 17:26:08 PST 2003

> > Thanks.  This weekend I'll try alternate CD drivers.  Anybody remember what
> > the version number was on that "universal" CD driver that Apple had in one
> > of their OS versions??

> 5.1.3 IIRC

>From the OS 7.6 CD. But any version can be patched to achieve the same
effect, and the instructions for doing it are on resexcellence.com. It
may make sense to use the most recent version available, though the SCSI CD
driver hasn't seen as much revision as the ATAPI one (both are in the same
extension).

Note that the original poster wasn't able to see the drive on the bus with
a SCSI tool (Mt. Everything or similar), in which case a different driver
won't help, because it won't see it either when it loads. It sounded offhand
like typical SCSI cabling voodoo, or perhaps an interaction between the
bus controller in the Ultradock and the drive. Not uncommon, and usually
resolved either by swapping device order and cabling, or giving up in
frustration. ;)  Thank goodness for Firewire...

Marc Sira		|	toh at victoria.tc.ca
If you can't play with words, what good are they?