280c startup trouble

David Linker dtlinker at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 17 23:17:36 PST 2003

I am helping a friend with a 280c that he just got, which has not been
used for a long time. It has 30 MB RAM, a PowerPort modem, and two
batteries, one of which is an Apple type 3, and the other a BTI type 4.

It will not start up with the batteries in place. If I remove the
battery and plug in the adapter, it starts up just fine. If I plug
either battery in while it is running, it suddenly stops after a few
seconds. I tried letting the batteries charge for an hour or two, but
it would still not start with the batteries in.

Does this indicate that the batteries are the problem?

Thanks in advance.

David Linker