[Duo2400] Re: OS 8.6 on 2300c

Randy & Cheyanne charan at centurytel.net
Wed Mar 19 04:38:08 PST 2003

On Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003, at 23:17 US/Central, Thomas wrote and David
was quoted:

> I use it with my 2300c and it seems to work great!
>
> Tom
>
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm interested in what you all think about an upgrade
>>> from OS 8.1 to 8.6 on my 2300c.  I found a piece of
>>> software that I want to use but it requires 8.6.  I
>>> have 28MB Ram, 1 gig HD - still enough room on it to
>>> do this.  I suspect I'll need to upgrade my browser,
>>> what works best on this version OS?  And what do you
>>> think about email programs (am using netscape 3.?? for
>>> browsing and email.)
>>>
>>> Thanks for thoughts!
>>>
>>> Dave--

Dave,

	Depending on the size of the hard drive in your 2300, why don't you
partition it with the 8.1 on one partition and 8.6 on another.  My 2300
is set up this way so that I can use some software that is 8.6
specific.  I usually boot into 8.1 and when it's needed I use the 8.6
partition, I also have a partition just for another 8.1 and Machten.
And another for data and a copy of norton utilities.  This also gives
you a "recovery" disk or two right on board (unless the entire hard
drive dies). BTW, all my partitions are just on a 10Ggig drive.

	 Another fun benefit of all these partitions is that you get to name
the partitions and give them custom icons.  And then you get explain to
window using friends why "Reginald" and his top hat and monocle are on
your desktop with "Celeste" and "Helga" ;-).  Here's some good
information on it:

http://sciencequest.org/support/computers/mac/topics/partitioning.html

cheers,

Randy

"You must be the change you wish to see in the World."  -- Gandhi