2400 Audio Interruptus

RRSounds at aol.com RRSounds at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 01:32:00 PST 2003

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:39:32, Shawn Wolfe <tsc at hereintown.net> asked:
<<
Could you use a PCMCIA sound card and see if that will help?

Makes no difference. I have a VXPocket that I have tried.

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:17:14, Carlson <mariner at mts.net> suggested:
<<
What kind of hard drive is it? I have an 18gb IBM in mine (400 also) and no
problems such as you describe, although I did have a similar experience when
attempting to record to an external syquest. Have you tried running minimal
extensions, is virtual memory off? What app are you recording with? Which
OS?

Yep, it's an IBM/Hitachi Travelstar 10GB, and I'm using OS 8.6.
I have the same experience with extensions off. In the past I have used Protools to record and had noticed the glitches in the recorded files. This problem happens with *any* sound program, and I am mostly concerned with playing back.

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:26:09, Larry Friedman <larry.s.f at mindspring.com> opined:
<<
When was the last time you de-fragmented and optimized your drive?

Did that with Disk Warrior and Plus Optimizer, to no avail.
I'm starting to believe it is the processor that does the interruption. I have tried turning off TCP, sharing and Appletalk. Any more ideas?

David Reaves

My original posts:

In a message dated 03/19/2003 3:51:58, I had originally written:

<<
My 2400 is a wonderful machine. I upgraded it a while back to 400MHz, 10GB HD and 80MB memory.
but it is totally useless for recording audio. The hard drive does a recalibration every 60 seconds, which interrupts the audio stream briefly. As you can imagine, this sucks in a profound way.

Any workarounds, or do I need to just not use this baby for audio?

David Reaves

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:31:02 I added the following:
<<
Having not gotten any response from this very knowledgeable group, I meanwhile have tried a few more things myself.

I have an external (PCMCIA card) hard drive that I hooked up to see if I could isolate the problem to the internal drive. Well, the audio interruption also happens when the audio is playing from an external. And you don't even want to know the performance with a USB external drive!
So, I ask, nay plead, does anybody know what's up with this brief audio interruption every 60 seconds? Is it endemic to the 2400?
:-(

David Reaves
unhappy camper