FireWire drive on 2400 w/9.1?

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 08:32:49 PST 2003

Hey listers, maybe you can help me out with this. I've
been happily using a FireWire external drive on my
Cardbus-enabled 2400 running Mac OS 8.6, using an IBM
1394 card, and the three FireWire extensions from Mac
OS 9.1. Works like a charm.

Now I want to use it with 9.1, and I don't think I
can. On 9.1, you have to insert Cardbus cards after
the "Welcome to Mac OS" screen during startup. When I
do this, the card shows up on the desktop, but the
drive is dead to the world. It doesn't see it at all.

I went back to 8.6 and tried the same thing, and got
the same result: if the card isn't present from the
very beginning of startup, it will show up on the
desktop but won't see any drives. My guess is that the
drivers aren't completely loading or something.

So my question: Is anyone successfully using a
FireWire external drive on a 2400 running OS 9? Please
share what you're doing to get it to work -- if there
are any third party extensions, or whatever. Thanks!!

Ivan.