2300c Reinstall

Doug Neff dougneff at mac.com
Tue Mar 25 12:00:19 PST 2003

Hi,

I have a Duo 2300c that I acquired a couple years ago, and am just now starting to try using.  There is something wrong with it that I suspect will require a reformat and full system reinstall.  Here's what it does:

The hard drive is constantly grinding, as though just staying awake requires too much of its energy.  I can sloooooowly accomplish a very few tasks just by clicking on one thing and waiting 2-3 minutes for the machine to register the click, then making the next click.  I've tried setting it to a base set of extensions, but no help.  I've tried increasing virtual memory, no help.

This has worked fine in the past.  I have done word-processing on it, and some other basic things.

The only new things I've done to it are add a DuoDock, Monitor, keyboard, and mouse into the picture and also try installing some Epson printer drivers for an old Epson photo printer.  That seems to be the point at which it stopped working.

I'm really okay doing a reformat, because I never really started with a clean slate on this machine anyway.  However, I do not have any system disks for it.  Since I have the dock, I can use floppies, but I have no CD-Rom drive available.  I also have a G4 sitting next to it that I can network via a crossover cable.  Can I install OS 8.5 from my CD-Rom on the G4?  Is there a website or FAQ somewhere that can give me step-by-step instructions for reformatting and reinstalling on a Duo?

I would be willing to pay someone (via Paypal or check or whatever) to make me a set of floppy disks.

Thanks for listening.  I'd appreciate any help you can give.

-Doug Neff