[Duo2400] Re: OS 8.6?

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Wed Mar 26 11:50:48 PST 2003

on 03/26/03 2:39 PM, tom bonacci at bonacci at ascend.com wrote:

> Yes, the OS 8.6 Update distribution is ~34MB and includes the full
> installation of the system software.  However, I thought the installer
> checked first to see if the machine upon which it was being installed
> had 8.5 or 8.5.1 before allowing you to proceed.  Correct?
>
> -tom
>

> "Ernesto A. Forcadilla" wrote:
>>
>> Mac OS 8.6 is not an update but a full install OS.

Nope.  The 8.6 updater is just that, an updater.  For one thing, I seem to
recall that the 8.5 install CD was substantially larger than 34 MB.
Secondly, I don't believe there's any way to hack the installer script on
the 8.6 updater to install a complete 8.6 system using only the contents of
the updater.

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)