Duo Keyboard, battery and screen.

Greg M pailface88 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 03:52:35 PST 2003

imporving the feel of
> the Duo
> >keybaord (IIRC) by painting some sort of rubber glue on the
> underside of the
> >rubber sheet below the keys...
>
> I recall someone suggesting the use of silicone glue (RTV I assume),
> which apparently worked for them (!).
>
> I just realized I've got some silicone-based lubricant called
> Sil-Glyde
> which might be a more appropriate lube than the glue. I've used it
> for
> years for all kinds of stuff where a petroleum grease wasn't
> appropriate,
> like on rubber. I'll post results when (indeed, when?!?) I finally
> get
> around to trying it out on one of my POS Duo KBs.
>
> <http://agscompany.com/productFS/lubes/sl29.html>
>
> Sold as a brake lube in auto parts stores. Here's an online vendor
> with a
> brief description:
> <http://midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?1208>
>
> Just an idea, if anyone else has already tried this speak up, eh! :
> -)

I have experimented with silicone sealant (glue) on the Duo keyboard
and have had great success. It works well and lasts long. In fact,
every keyboard that I have done this too I have only done it to one
time. Originally I would coat all moving friction parts of the keys and
the holes they slide in with silicone. Then wipe it off VERY
thoroughly. This makes the moving plastics parts very slick. Anyway,
this is laborious. Since then I  have discovered that you can mix a
small amount of silicone sealant, (the amount you would put on a
toothbrush if it were tooth paste) with a couple or three ounces of
"naptha" (lighter fluid - spot remover). If your mixture is plenty thin
(I never actually measure quantities) the solution can be applied to
the plastic key parts and holes. The naptha will evaporate leaving the
microscopic film of silicone.

Incidentally, I have tried a particular silicone grease, and it worked
very poorly as a lubricant for the application. I was also concerned
that it may attract dirt. The silicone sealant is not wet or tacky when
it cures, just slick. Remember, this is for lubricating moving parts,
NOT for applying to the electrical contact surfaces (mylar membrane,
black rubbery donuts).

I had long since written up a disjointed article about my duo keyboard
which can be accessed at:
ftp://hillcity:@hillcity.onlymacintosh.com/%2fUsers/sites/hillcity.onlymacintosh.com/root/Duo%20stuff

Greg