[Duo2400] Hot swapping

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Fri Mar 28 09:04:44 PST 2003

on 03/28/03 11:56 AM, larry.s.f at mindspring.com at larry.s.f at mindspring.com
wrote:

> I know that some macs are finicky about this, but can you disconnect adb
> devices without shutting the 2400 down? Do you have to put it to sleep first?

NEVER, EVER, EVER try to hot swap ADB devices.  You may get away with it for
a bit, but you will eventually burn out either your device or your ADB
controller.  AFAIK, even sleep isn't enough, since you can wake a machine
from sleep by hitting keys on the keyboard.  The ADB is a powered bus and by
attempting to hot-swap, you're creating very abrupt power transients.  ADB
was never designed to be hot-swappable.

Furthermore, if the prospect of ruining hardware wasn't enough, the
'finicky' that you allude to is probably the fact that, since hot-swapping
is a forbidden operation, the OS often becomes horribly confused about
what's attached.

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)