[Duo2400] Re: Barracuda ST15150N

Milton Lukins Milton at MiltonLukins.com
Tue May 20 11:44:49 PDT 2003

on 5/20/03 2:01 PM, Ivan Drucker at ivanxqz at yahoo.com wrote:

> I don't know what the ribbon cable you're referring to is, where is it
> attached to the drive?

I was hoping the model number would tip you off as to exactly what I have.
Just above where the four pin power connector goes and perpendicular to it
along the edge of the drive is a double row of small pins (eleven high, 22
pins total) to which is attached a ribbon cable about 3 inches long and a
half inch wide.  Just to the left and perpendicular to that (like forming
the number seven) are six pins (three vertical rows of two) with one jumper
connecting two of the pins.

> If you use a newer (i.e. wide) drive, you may need a 68-pin to 50-pin
> adapter, or an 80-pin to 50-pin adapter if it has an SCA connector. I
> would avoid a drive with an SCA connector, since they just complicate
> things.  (SCA drives integrate the 68-pin connector, the SCSI id pins, and
> the power connector, into a single connector.) Newer narrow drives may
> also require a 50-pin HD to 50-pin
> IDC adapter if you plan to use them on the inside of an older Mac.

My local hard drive purveyor (MDB Wholesale Products-ebay store) seems to
have drives ending in WC and 80 to 50 pin adapters.  Are these to be
avoided?

> (68HD is sometimes referred to as a SCSI-3 connector, 50HD is sometimes
> referred to as a SCSI-2 connector, and 50-IDC as SCSI-I, though these
> terms are not really correct -- the SCSI designation indicates the
> throughput speed, among other things, not the connector style.)
>
> I have a 47 GB Seagate Elite drive (it's quite large, won't fit inside
> the dock) in an external enclosure with centronics-50 (old-style) ports
> on the back which I would be willing to sell if you are interested. It
> will plug into the external SCSI port like any other SCSI drive.

Sounds interesting.  I guess I would need to use a SCSI dock adapter (I have
several that I use with a tape backup) to hook it to the Duo Dock.

Feel free to contact me off list about the external drive.