Continuing saga - second hand [Was: Re: Help sought...]

Larry W. Virden lvirden at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 12:23:59 PDT 2003

--- ELN/rlf9 <rlf9 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> They need to be able to boot the computer from a floppy disk
> containing
> DFA. Is that on a different floppy than Disk Copy's? Maybe both
> programs
> would fit on whatever floppy has a proper System Folder to boot the
>
> computer.

The hardware is a Duo 280.  The problem is that booting to hard disk
results in the flashing floppy icon.

I created a floppy containing a system folder, the hard disk utility,
and disk first aid.

They are able to boot to the floppy. Keeping in mind that I am
reporting all of this third hand - friend of the kids... - I believe
what I was told was that they ran the disk first aid from the floppy,
and then I believe the  new system folder was copied to the hard
disk, but even then, the system would not boot.

I need to see if I can get my hands on the machine itself - with all
the pieces.  I believe they are running MacOS 7.5.1 .

> What machine do they have, and which OS version are you looking to
> make
> work in it? Please refresh my memory
>

> >Given that they don't seem to have an OS disk, and I know I don't
> >have enough space at home to download one, nor a format on which
> >create such a disk for them, is there someplace that an owner of a
> >duo 280 can turn to purchase an appropriate MacOS in a format
> >that they could use to format a hard disk and then install a new
> >version of the OS on their laptop?
> >
> Isn't their "OS disk" the one they were able to look around on, as
> you
> say above?

They were poking around on the hard drive.  When I referenced an "OS
disk" , I was referring to a CDROM/etc. containing a fresh copy of
the OS from which they might re-install things.

> There also might still be a salvagable System Folder on it, while
> the
> computer just can't "find" it.
>
> Before giving up and just going to a complete redo, can you get
> hold of
> an appropriate vintage of Norton Disk Doctor on floppy? If not,
> contact
> me offlist.

I can check, but I don't think they have a copy of norton disk
doctor, and I am pretty certain I don't either.  But we can check.

=====
--
Tcl - It's the real thing.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <URL: mailto:lvirden at yahoo.com >