Duo 2400 powerboard reliability problems

Art Rice artrice66 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 07:34:44 PST 2003

Hi all,
I've been reading the DuoList for several months now
and learned of the 2400 GLOD problems. I'm curious if
anyone has looked at the design and tried to improve
on it? My thoughts are:
1) If it's heat related, the regulator IC may need a
better heatsink. The AC adapter puts out 24 Volts and
has to drop it to 12 and/or 5 Volts. That is a lot of
power to dissipate. The old linear regulators (if
thats what it has) have to continuously dissipate
P=V*I watts. I don't know how much current the 2400
draws, but if there's room to add a heatsink, it would
be good preventative maintainence.
2) Does the powerboard have OVP (over voltage
protection) and a fuse? If the regulator did fail,
hopefully an OVP circuit would take over and clamp the
voltage to a safe value that wouldn't kill the logic
board!
3) I don't own a 2400, but I have a 2300c. Does anyone
know if they have the same powerboard reliability
issues?

Art in Silicon Valley