2400 woes...

Scott's Lists lists at detwiler.us
Wed Nov 5 08:58:13 PST 2003

On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 08:12 AM, Duo/2400 List wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:20:31 -0800 (PST)
> From: daniel brunk <river96b at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Duo2400] 2400 woes...
>
> I have a 2400, 80MB, 9 GB, Newer G3/240 that has
> worked absolutely flawlessly...until yesterday!
> Suddenly, clicks of death, green lights of death,
> everything that is bad.  In addition, sometimes when I
> try to start her up I get the startup chime
> immediately followed by a sound that can only be
> described as a clinking sound...as if a sword was just
> drawn out of the scabbard.  I'm guessing this is sort
> of bad.  Sometimes it has started up, but it freezes
> either during the booting process or within 60 seconds
> of a successful boot.  Is there any hope at all?

Mechanical clunking just after start-up chimes indicate physical hard
drive failure, as do the aborted start-ups you describe.
That's the only thing in there that can make such sounds.

I don't know if a crunching hard drive would cause to GLODS or CLODS in
a 2400.

With care, you can replace the hard drive yourself.

Have you tried booting off an external drive? You might even need to
physically disconnect the hard drive, or at least its power cable to
make an all-but-dead-but-not-quite drive get out of your way.

The heat from the 240 CPU can cause premature hard drive failure--it
happened in my Newer-upgraded 6100, which has a very tight case.

Scott