Given PB2400c, and I killed it! (GLOD)

Chuck Kenney kenneyc at mac.com
Sun Nov 9 22:42:09 PST 2003

I'll try to keep this story short...

A coworker of mine was given a PowerBook 2400c by an old NewerTech employee
years ago.  Upon seeing it 4 years ago, I drooled over it and it's Japanese
keyboard.  This week, he was cleaning out his house, decided he no longer
needed it (he used it as a flashlight!), and GAVE it to me, in perfect
working order.  From what I can tell, it is a stock PB 2400c/180 with 48MB
of RAM.

I decided to put Linux on it, as I wanted a command line to admin my
servers.  Linux was too big, so I decided to upgrade the hard drive.  Tore
it down, swapped the hard drive, and after doing some research on the
subject, decided to attempt to cardbus enable my new baby.  I have a 180
with four yellow wires (two on each side of the logic board), so I snipped
them.  Reassembled, and am now being confronted with an alternating green
light of death and click of death.

I have tried Sidney Ho's reset at
http://webobjects.uwaterloo.ca/mac2400/power_reset_by_sydney_ho.htm
I have also tried removing the power adapter, LiIon Battery, and PRAM
battery and letting it sit for 48 hours, then attempting the above reset
again.  I have torn it down completely once again at work and reassembled
it.

Since I'm a broke college student, sending it in for repair isn't really an
option, but repairing it myself is.  Tearing down the PowerBook again and
testing components isn't a problem for me, and another coworker is willing
and able to swap surface mount components for me (I am not handy with a
soldering iron).

I doubt the processor is the problem as it has been rock sold (according to
my coworker, and I trust him) for years, I followed all of the normal
precautions (wrist strap, anti-static desk mat, anti-static floor mat), and
I'm not unfamiliar with tearing down PowerBooks.

Now for the questions:

Has anyone successfully repaired (themselves) a GLOD machine?  If so, what
did you do?

Was cutting those yellow wires a seriously bad thing to do?  If so, I can
have them replaced with new ones.  I followed the traces as best I could
before cutting them, and spent a good day or so reading up on cardbus modded
PowerBooks before doing it, and it seemed the correct thing to do to enable
cardbus.

I'm considering giving the fuse repair a try
(http://home.socal.rr.com/midijab/), but the symptoms obviously don't match
up.  Any thoughts on this?

Since Apple is no longer making parts for the 2400c, and repair shops are
still doing repairs on them, and probably using repaired components to fix
sent in machines, I wonder what exactly they are doing to fix the damaged
components?

Sorry for the long first post.

Regards,
--
Chuck Kenney

FreeFall Software
http://www.freefallsoftware.com/

"you don't need more memory, you need minions"
                   -- monkey++ about me needing a faster G4