Finally Got a 2400c! Please help me to optimize it/set it up for wireless

pulin at mailcan.com pulin at mailcan.com
Thu Nov 13 16:09:04 PST 2003

Well, using the links in some of the replies, I did the following:

I got one of the Dell TrueMobile 1150 16 bit wireless PC cards (rebadged
Orinoco Gold).

I downloaded Orinoco's 7.2 drivers from Proxim's website.

I burned the drivers onto a CD and then followed instructions from Derek
Miller's penmachine.com website and realized that I have OS 8.5 and the
Orinoco drivers require 8.6.

Then went to the Apple website and downloaded the 8.6 update (36 MB), burned
it to CD, transferred it to the Comet and tried installing.  However, I get
an error when it tries to open the .smi file (Stuffit 5.5 expands the .bin
file to the .smi file fine...the error occurs when it tries to expand the
.smi file).  The error is something to the effect of a shrinkwrap error -40
or -50 or something like that.

I then tried downloading the multipart installer (12 parts) off Apple's
website, but got the same problems.

So, it appears that I'm stuck at 8.5 and have drivers that only work with
8.6.  Does anybody know of a fix?  Are there drivers that will work with 8.5
(this Dell card is basically a rebadged Orinoco Gold 16 bit card)?
Alternatively, am I missing something when it comes to trying to update to
8.6?  I know it's not a problem with stuffit on the Comet because after it
downloaded on my dual 867, stuffit expanded the .bin to the .smi but had an
error when trying to open (mount) the .smi file (acutally, I think Disk Copy
took over to try and mount the .smi file).

Could Apple's file be corrupted?  Is there another source to try and
download the 8.6 update and see if that one works?

Kind of frustrated right now....