[Duo2400] best PB apps?

Scott Holder ncc1701 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 16 04:13:11 PST 2003

R. McFarlane wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm looking for the "must have" of PB software. Can any one point me
> to a web page listing or provide a list of their "top 10"?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> R. McFarlane

Let's see, if you're going to include utils and things, in no particular
order:

1. Liteswitch - Provides a Windows-like Command-Tab. IMHO this is one
thing about the Windows UI that is quite nice.
2. Appleworks - Even version 5 still works fine on 68ks and all the way
back to System 7.1. Great Word Processor/etc
3. Eudora Lite/Pro/etc - Great e-mailer, admittedly the more recent
versions are getting a bit big but 2-4 and probably 5 are great.
4. iCab - Pretty well publicized on the lists, but a great, fast web
browser. www.icab.de
5. Mozilla and variants - If your 'book is fast enough to handle it,
Mozilla is a great, standards-based web browser. Should handle most
sites that iCab doesn't. If you're on OS X, Mozilla Firebird is a good
option too.
6. MacTelnet/MacSSH - Either would be your most used or least used,
depending on whether you do much telnetting/sshing. I do myself, but you
may not.
7. Mt. Everything - When that stupid CD ROM won't mount again
8. Disk First Aid from 8.5+ - If you're running 8.1 or lower, the DFA
from 8.5+ works somewhat better and even still runs on 68k. The biggie
being able to repair the startup disk and such.
9. StuffIt/Dropstuff 5.5+ - If a 68k pbook, Stuffit 5.5. If PPC, either
still 5.5 or the latest one, depending on your needs and wants.
Dropstuff is handy if you want to make archives.
10. ResEdit - This is more of a hobbyist thing, but you can do various
fun things with it.

That's probably my top 10 :)

Scott Holder