2400c/180 and 8.5+

Chuck Kenney kenneyc at mac.com
Sun Nov 23 16:03:11 PST 2003

Now that I've brought my PowerBook from the dead, I am trying to get 8.6
onto the machine to test and use the Dell TrueMobile 1150 wireless card I
bought for it.

I tried installing 8.6 on the 2400, rebooted, and it tells me that "this
startup disk cannot be used with this computer".  The drive was formatted
with 8.1 then I let the 8.6 installer update the driver.  I thought that
maybe my 8.6 CD was new world specific (iMac and newer), so I grabbed my 8.5
CD, installed, and am being confronted with the same error message.

I haven't tried 9 yet, but I'm getting there.

8.1 works fine on the machine, and is probably what will end up on it as my
final goal is to put Linux on the PowerBook, but I need to test the wireless
card before I tackle making PCMCIA work in Linux.

I have pretty much every system from 0.6 up to 10.3, so I can try almost any
combination of installations and updates.  I'm stumped, and any suggestions
would be welcome.

I have the original 1.3GB drive installed, 48MB of RAM, and a stock 180Mhz
processor.  The only mods done to it are the cardbus wire cutting (which
works), replacing a 2A fuse, and replacing the wires on the bottom of the
motherboard with new ones.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience with the NewerRAM/Edge branded
64MB RAM module for the 2400c?  Mine isn't being recognized at all (brand
new), and I was wondering if I should bother getting it replaced, or just
return it for a refund.
--
Chuck Kenney

FreeFall Software