2400 and iBook: Separated at Birth?

Scott's Lists lists at detwiler.us
Mon Oct 13 18:26:55 PDT 2003

Hi, all.

Ran across this letter in a column on Low End Mac.

Sheds a bit of light on 2400c GLOD, I think. I have read stories around
here on GLOD machines fixed by replacing elements like mother boards,
processor daughter cards, and power boards. This letter makes it sound
that ultimately it is the power board in every case--it is fluctuations
coming from that that fry other components.

The letter is about iBooks, but it sounds hauntingly familiar. All that
missing is a certain little green light......

--Scott

Here is the letter:

 >re: iBook Logic Board Failure
 >
 >From Brian Hugh Warren
 >
 >Charles,
 >
 >My wife's iBook (700 MHz CD) had a really rocky start when we got it.
Just
 >*zip!* it would shut itself off, often never really able to start itself
 >back up. We sent it in three times! The first two, they replaced the
logic
 >board and the hard drive. The third time we did, we brought it into the
 >Apple Store (we were in the process of moving from Arkansas to Alaska
and
 >happened to be in the Denver area). We showed the guy what we were
talking
 >about, and he saw the problem first hand. He and another genius looked
it
 >over thoroughly and ended up sending it in for us, with explicit
 >instructions to replace the "Power Card" (or something like that --
 >basically the power manager that regulates the power going to the logic
 >board).
 >
 >They fixed it and sent it to my father in Seattle. We picked it up
there on
 >our way to Alaska. It has worked great ever since. Basically, as I
 >understand it, the power regulator was sending just a wee bit too much
power
 >to the logic board. So it would work fine for a week or two -- and
 >eventually fry itself. The logic board was dead, so they would replace
that,
 >but never replace the power thingy.
 >
 >So, that's just a word to anybody else who might have had that problem.

Brian