Viability of a 2400

JM Palacios jm_palacios at HotPOP.com
Wed Oct 15 20:38:06 PDT 2003

I'm new to the list, though I've been lurking for a couple months (since I
was given a dead Powerbook 2400). Anyway, I spent a few days fiddling with
it using a borrowed power adapter to see if I could get it to work. I
followed Sydney's power reset instructions at the Mac2400 page over and
over, and even opened up the case and unplugged the battery for a while, let
it discharge completely... whatever I could think to do.

Well, somewhere in the midst of that fiddling (maybe after the battery was
unplugged?) I managed to get it to boot--twice. The first time it booted and
I must have had the power adapter loose because it went off while the
extensions were loading. Shortly afterwards I got it to boot and got a
system error while the extensions were loading. I figured, no problem, just
reboot w/ extensions off and see what works. But it never booted again. All
I can get it to do seems to be alternate between the GLOD and the click of
death.

So, my question: is it worth the trouble to do anything to this machine?
Perhaps many of you think 2400's are awesome even though they're ancient,
but I am thinking compared to the latest Powerbooks. I want minimal to zero
investment in a six year old computer that has a reputation for being flaky!
I'm thinking of a computer my girlfriend can use for word processing and
maybe email. I know I would have to buy a power supply, probably a floppy
drive to get the system patched up, and maybe even a battery. Is there a
bootable CD-ROM drive for the 2400?

Those of you who have had dead 2400's, what is the best thing to do with
them? Should I continue to try unplugging the PRAM battery, or should I get
the power board replaced? What works? Even if I drain/replace the PRAM
battery, will it still be flaky unless the power board is replaced? If I
have to repair it, what would the cost be, whether I did it myself or I sent
it somewhere?

Any advice from you 2400 gurus would be greatly appreciated. Most of the
resources on the web advocating the 2400 are 3 or more years old and I can't
make a good judgment with their help.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it was all necessary :-)

John-Mark Palacios