2400c GLOD and 96 MB RAM

Gary Shigenaka shig at nwrain.com
Wed Oct 22 07:08:24 PDT 2003

I'm a longtime lister who finally experienced my first terminal GLOD
after about 5 years of using my 2400c.  In the past, I've been able to
revive the 'book from this condition, this time I could not.  After
avoiding doing my own work on this model for years because of the dire
warnings about the complex nature of the task, I decided to byte the
bullet and do a complete motherboard transplant with another 2400c we
had lying around the office.  Thanks to the very detailed step-by-step
instructions on the Mac2400 website from Ivan Drucker, completely
disassembling these things really wasn't too bad at all.  I wound up
removing the motherboard and IO board from the surplus machine,
installed my Vimage G3, the 96MB RAM chip, and my 30 gig HD, then put it
all back inside my 2400c.  After the surgery, BOTH machines booted up
fine...then my upgraded machine died again.  It now appears to be
terminal again.  For reasons I won't get into here, I now think it's my
96 MB RAM that's suspect (I've had the RAM installed for several years).
 That (finally) leads me to my two questions:

1.  Anyone else experience a GLOD-like failure that was eventually
traced to defective RAM?
2.  Having missed the eBay auction for another chip by around 12
hours...does anyone have a lead on another one of these elusive 96 MB
memory upgrades?

Thanks,

Gary