[Duo2400] 16 bit 10./100 Ethernet Cards

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 23:35:19 PDT 2003

--- Hugh Schickel <hschickel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a 16bit 10/100 Ethernet pcmcia card
> - preferably
> dongle-less. The only 16bit 10/100 for the mac that
> I've found is the
> macsense mpc100 - it's expensive and it requires a
> dongle. Are there any
> others?
>
> Also - if I do the cardbus mod - are there any 32bit
> 10/100 cards that do not require a dongle?

You have exactly two brands to look at for dongle
free PC Card or CardBus network cards.

Xircom's RealPort line which are Type III thickness,
some have modem and ethernet ports on one card and
they also have a line of mix and match cards where
some have their port on one side and the others have
it on the other side so they can both fit into stacked
slots.

The other choices are from 3Com/Megahertz/USR with
the pop out X-Jack connector. X-Jack has moving parts
and is more vulnerable to damage if the cord gets
yanked, but they're all Type II thickness and can
be used with any other card with a port or dongle
that is offset enough to not be in the way of a
cable plugged into the extended X-Jack. Most memory
card to PC Card/CardBus adaptors fit completly into
the slot and won't interfere with X-Jack cards.

=====
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist