[Duo2400] Mysterious hard drive problem SOLVED

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 03:29:28 PDT 2003

--- Peter Goertzen <sprkplg82 at yahoo.com> wrote:
<clip>
> backed up on them. What's my best option for
> archiving
> with my 2300c? External hard drive? Zip drive? Is
> there a CD burner available for my machine?

SCSI CD burners are getting hard to come by,
especially in CD-RW. But CD-R only drives in slower
speeds (8x or less) go fairly cheap on eBay.
I want a SCSI CD-RW with some style of buffer
underrun protection to install in my 7300/200.

SCSI Zip 100 drives are cheap but at times, 100meg can
get a bit small. There are other removable drives
that are faster and larger capacity but not as
common as the Zip.

SyQuest drives and media go for nearly throwaway
prices on eBay.

Magneto Optical drives and media
can be bought nearly as cheap. Best all around on the
MO style is a Fujitsu 640 meg 3.5" or a 320 meg for
quite a bit less. The 1" tall MO drives could be
fitted
in place of a Mac's floppy drive. I just checked
and the Duo Dock's floppy slot is thick enough to
pass an MO disk. Fujitsu claims that most of their
640meg 3.5" MO drives are not Mac compatable. I can't
see why not, they're SCSI. 'Course my 640 is in my
PC and I use a Fujitsu 320 in an external case for the
Macs. The Basilisk II 68k Mac emulator works fine
with the 640 in the PC.

=====
"Your mistletoe is no match for my TOW missile!" Robot Santa Claus, Futurama