[Duo2400] Re: WOW

COCCORP at aol.com COCCORP at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 15:14:10 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/23/2003 4:58:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
andy at andynic.eclipse.co.uk writes:

> I seem to remember the line of an old song which said (something to the
>  effect) that a thing is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

What y'all need to explain to me is WHY anyone out there is surprised? The
Powerbook 2400c has enjoyed a cult following for awhile now, because of its
"boutique cuteness" as I read on one Asian webcite... and all of that even though
it seems PRONE to "GLOD!"

I myself have seen a BROKEN 2400c complete parts machine go for more than
$200; more than a WORKING and JUST AS FAST 3400c!

This does seem kinda par for the course for Macs... can't U also say that the
following Macs are WAY overpriced? :

-Mac TV
-TAM
-NeXt Cube
-Color Classic
-Powerbook 150

Maybe NONE of the above (except the TAM) are as wildly overpriced as the
recent 2400c sale, but it does show a commonality...

I fix and sell Powerbooks as a hobby; If I were to go out and find a PC
laptop that was comparible to a Duo 280c [66mhz, NO floppy, a HD smaller than
500mb, running a 10-year old version of WinDoze, etc.] do U think I could even get
TEN DOLLARS for it, even if it were in pristine condition?

Face it, people... it is the nature of our shared passion. Macs are to
computers what the Bentley and Duesenberg are to automobiles. And like those cars,
only the classic macs hold (or increase in) their value...

..and EVEN with all of the above said, I STILL WANT a 2400c one day... just
not for a car note...

Craig W.