Best OS For A G3 Upgraded 2400c

Antonio Malcolm ironhawk at mac.com
Sun Apr 18 23:11:23 PDT 2004

Hey all, I have a 2400c, which is about to have a 240mhz/1mb L2 G3
installed.

I also have a Compact Flash PCMCIA adapter, to help with the limtied
RAM issue.

Anyhow, for those of you with similar setups, which OS are you running?
I had thought of sticking with 8.6 for this machine, as there is some
third-party memory protection software for this OS. It isn't available
for 9, so I'm considering X, using X-Post Facto to install it, and the
Compact Flash as the swap partition for virtual memory. In Japan, there
are many 2400c users running OS X, so it can be done.

If I stick with 8.6, however, will it do well with the G3? At the very
least, will it run as well as OS 9 would on the G3? I'd hate switching
to 9, as I would lose the reliability of memory protection.

This is a bit of a new experience for me, as I've never run anything
earlier than 9.1 on a G3 or G4 chip.

I'd also like to hear some Linux-based options... I've read that both
Debian and Yellow Dog run well on kits like mine. I would like to use
GIMP, and some word-processing and multimedia stuff, in such a setup.

I also have a G4 MT, as my workstation, so a bit of experimentation
won't leave me stranded.

Thanx, in advance, for any advice.