Best System for a G3 upgraded 2400c

CJPV c_j_p_v at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 15:08:36 PDT 2004

> I also have a Compact Flash PCMCIA adapter, to help with the limtied
> RAM issue.

I understand that this will help out with the virtual memory, but don't see how this can affect
main system memory.

> Anyhow, for those of you with similar setups, which OS are you running?
> I had thought of sticking with 8.6 for this machine, as there is some
> third-party memory protection software for this OS.

Really? I always thought that the 3rd party solutions to that problem caused more headaches than
anything else. Admittedly, it has been many years since I looked into it, after having used OS X
since the beta release....

> It isn't available
> for 9, so I'm considering X, using X-Post Facto to install it, and the
> Compact Flash as the swap partition for virtual memory.

I hope you have a large wallet, as the swap partition can be large....  ~_^

> In Japan, there
> are many 2400c users running OS X, so it can be done.

I just purchased a 2400c/400 from Japan through an auction site; all of the units that I saw with
a G3 upgrade were running OS 8.6 or 9.1, or both- depending on their needs. From the reports that
I have read regarding OS X on a 2400c, it is *barely* chugging along even with max RAM, fast HD,
and an Interware upgrade...

> If I stick with 8.6, however, will it do well with the G3? At the very
> least, will it run as well as OS 9 would on the G3? I'd hate switching
> to 9, as I would lose the reliability of memory protection.

So get the best of both worlds- get an external PCMCIA HD and install OS 9 onto the card, with all
of your extensions, software, etc. and see how it is : - )

OS 9 or OS 8? That's easy- the *real* tough decision is whether to use the blue or the pink
Yu-Plan keyboard!

John