[Duo2400] Best OS For A G3 Upgraded 2400c

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 19 21:03:05 PDT 2004

The processor runs all but OS X well....it will run.

OS 8.6 is arguably the most stable, with a good feature balance. 7.6.1
is very fast and 9.x brings more features to the table, e.g., iTunes,
etc.  Create some multiple partitions and try them all out.

Keep in mind that the PC card memory has a fixed number of read/write
cycles so at some point you will pay a price for using it as a virtual
memory device..but heck, give it a shot.

On Apr 19, 2004, at 1:11 AM, Antonio Malcolm wrote:

> Hey all, I have a 2400c, which is about to have a 240mhz/1mb L2 G3
> installed.
>
> I also have a Compact Flash PCMCIA adapter, to help with the limtied
> RAM issue.
>
> Anyhow, for those of you with similar setups, which OS are you running?
> I had thought of sticking with 8.6 for this machine, as there is some
> third-party memory protection software for this OS. It isn't available
> for 9, so I'm considering X, using X-Post Facto to install it, and the
> Compact Flash as the swap partition for virtual memory. In Japan,
> there are many 2400c users running OS X, so it can be done.
>
> If I stick with 8.6, however, will it do well with the G3? At the very
> least, will it run as well as OS 9 would on the G3? I'd hate switching
> to 9, as I would lose the reliability of memory protection.
>
> This is a bit of a new experience for me, as I've never run anything
> earlier than 9.1 on a G3 or G4 chip.
>
> I'd also like to hear some Linux-based options... I've read that both
> Debian and Yellow Dog run well on kits like mine. I would like to use
> GIMP, and some word-processing and multimedia stuff, in such a setup.
>
> I also have a G4 MT, as my workstation, so a bit of experimentation
> won't leave me stranded.
>
> Thanx, in advance, for any advice.

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin, 1759.