Interesting SCSI/IDE tests (Duo 2300)

Thomas G. Monclova samoht at bl.org
Fri Apr 23 09:04:30 PDT 2004

	Hi All,

	On the 6th of April, 2004, I wrote asking about SCSI vs. IDE on
the Duo 2300.

	I decided to test it out and bought a SCSI-2 compatible
IDE-to-SCSI interface board and slapped my 10GB Travelstar on it.  The
test results were surprising.

	I need to get a hold of a SCSI harddrive to test how the
IDE-to-SCSI board might be the bottleneck.

	Using Norton Utilities 6: System Info

	Disk Test results

Mac OS Disk Cache: 128K
Virtual Mem. off
AppleTalk Inactive
44MB of real RAM

EIDE Drive to EIDE controller (stock):		122
EIDE Drive to EIDE controller 10GB drive:	144
EIDE Drive to SCSI board to SCSI controller:	56.2 (!)

Mac OS Disk Cache: 2048
EIDE Drive to EIDE controller 10GB drive:	165
EIDE Drive to SCSI board to SCSI controller:	55.9 (Lower? How queer.)

	...so, to make sure it's clear to everyone

stock Mac SE:	47.8
PBDuo 210:	99.7
MacIIfx:	96.6
PM 6100/60 reference system:		100
PB 1400cs/117:		111
PB 3400:		226
PowerMac G4 450 MP:	2308
				--------

	I think we can agree that something seems to be very wrong.  I'll
update the list when I get a test hard drive (1GB SCSI, about the same age
as the stock 1GB IDE Duo drive) and go through this again.

	Oh, and I got the interface board from MCE Tech. through eBay.
I'm still trying to indentify just what controller chip and SCSI version
the board uses.  It did not arrive with documentation, although everything
appears new.

	-t