Interesting SCSI/IDE tests (Duo 2300)

David Cucuzza cucuzza at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 24 12:01:48 PDT 2004

Hi-
I thought I'd add my results to the mix, as I have a 1.1Gb native SCSI
drive (IBM DPRS-21215) attached to the SCSI controller on the
motherboard of my Duo 2300c:

Using Norton Utilities 6: System Info

Mac OS Disk Cache: 128K
Virtual Mem. off
AppleTalk Inactive
56MB of real RAM

SCSI to SCSI: 75

Mac OS Disk Cache: 2048

SCSI to SCSI: 95.8

So, not *too* bad for an olde SCSI drive, although I expected better.
It's clearly better than the IDE-to-SCSI adapter experience reported by
Thomas. And the Disk Cache behavior is logical on my system.
  I switched to a SCSI drive from IDE for my Duo because the SCSI drive
made things visibly snappier- of course I was comparing an old 1.2Gb
IDE drive, not the 10Gb Travelstar (with it's bigger cache and newer
mechanisms) mentioned in T's report.
Now this makes me want to experiment with third-party disk drivers, to
see if that could squeeze more kick out of my poor old SCSI drive...
any suggestions (FWB...LaCie...?)

See you around,
David