quoted-printable

Marc Sira toh at victoria.tc.ca
Mon Apr 26 18:19:29 PDT 2004

On 26 avr. 2004, at 17:09, Duo/2400 List wrote:

> Yes, I see that happen all the time in here. Never heard a
> good reason why. Is that an Outlook thing? Every time
> somebody hits Return, I see "=20" or "=A9"...

This is what you'll see when a message was sent in MIME
quoted-printable encoding, where "special" characters are instead sent
as an equals sign followed by their ASCII value in hexadecimal. It's
not specifically an Outlook thing, but you will see it from Outlook
because it uses that encoding by default, even when there's no need (no
funky characters in the message). Smarter clients like Eudora or
Mail.app (probably) have a default setting to only use it when
necessary to preserve things like high-ASCII characters (Latin-1
diacritics for instance).

There are two reasons you'll see the encoding instead of the intended
message. The first is if your mail client doesn't support
quoted-printable, or it or the sending client doesn't support it
properly. Most modern ones do.

The second reason, which affects many people on this list, is that the
list digestificator doesn't support quoted-printable encoding, and thus
mungs any message encoded that way. URLs are particularly badly
affected because they often contain characters that will be quoted.

Most lists have this problem, and many old clients still out there
don't support quoted-printable, so by all means TURN IT OFF unless you
know you need it - send messages in plain text. That's assuming Outlook
even lets you do that nowadays (I guess we should be thankful we're not
getting HTML ;).

Marc Sira 		| 	toh at victoria.tc.ca
If you can't play with words, what good are they?