[DuoList] 2400c hard drive upgrades

Thomas G. Monclova samoht at bl.org
Fri Dec 3 10:10:46 PST 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Richard Bennet wrote:

> Easy there , Big Fella! "Your mileage may vary" comes
> to mind. Many circunstances exist in this Alternate
> Macintosh Universe! Just because your Duo worked at
> over 4 gigs doesn't mean his would, unfortunately.
> Let's all get a Longneck, and help each other out.
> (BTW - I KNOW I'm fulla shit; lotsa practice!)
>
> Rich
> --- Andrew Holst <drandrewevil at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I had a 10gb on my 2400 and it worked just fine. No
>> data loss. No random
>> crashing. It ran just fine.

 	To be clear, did SCSI Target Disk Mode work fine?

There's no argument that you can put in a 40GB or higher disk drive in any
ATA supporting Powerbook, but the dataloss, etc., can happen if you use it
in SCSI Target Disk Mode (note: NOT Firewire) with 2300, 2400, 3400 and
some other Powerbooks.  My PB 2300 won't start up into Target Disk Mode at
all unless I swap in a smaller than 4GB hard drive, for instance.

 	Some people have reported dataloss simply by booting into TDM.

 	...I just want to be clear.

According to the Tech. Note I posted earlier, it's specifically states
that the 2400 CAN use TDM...

"Apparently all previous drives shipped with our PowerBooks just happened
to avoid this problem. While this is fixed with the PowerBook 3400, 2400
and G3 as well as future PowerBooks, it will exist for all previous
PowerBook models with ATA drives. If you are upgrading the hard disk of a
PowerBook in the PowerBook 5300 family, the PowerBook 2300c, the PowerBook
1400 family and the PowerBook 190 family, you should check to see that the
drive in question does not meet the criteria mentioned above."

 	But it hasn't worked for everyone (by the reports).

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1116.html#IOErrors

 	-t