[DuoList] Remote Access Dial-Up question

Richard Adams duo280 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 21:35:20 PST 2004

OK, fellow Duo listers and Powerbook listers,

I have tried and tried to puzzle out why I can't get my Duo270C on the web,
so now I come to request assistance.

Remote Access is in the Control strip. If I go to it and click Connect,
there's no response. If I open Remote Access and click Connect from the
dialogue box, I hear a brief click and I get a box saying, 'The Connection
Attempt Failed. The port may be in use by another application. Check for
other uses of the port, like a fax receiving software. Also check AppleTalk
and Modem control panels that they are not using the same port.'

The protocol under Remote Access options is set to PPP. The system is
running OS 7.6.1. If I go to the Config PPP Control Panel, I get a PPP Down
message. Port name is set to Internal Modem. If I click Open, I get an error
indicating 'The Serial Port that was selected to be used by PPP seems to be
in use by something else. If AppleTalk is active, it may be using this
serial port preventing PPP from using it.'

If I go to the AppleTalk Control Panel, it tells me 'AppleTalk is currently
inactive....' I tell it No to the activate AppleTalk question, so AppleTalk
is off.

The extensions I see loading that look like they might be relevant are:

OpenTPTAppleTalkLib, OpenTPTInternetLib, OpenTransportLib, Open TPT
AppleTalk Library, Open TPT Internet Library, Open Transport Library,
OpenTPT Modem 68K, OpenTPT Remote Access 68K, OpenTPT Serial Arbitrator,
EtherTalk Phase 2, Internet Config Extension, Network Extension, PPP, and
Remote Only.

The modem is internal, and is set in the Modem Control Panel as Connect Via:
Internal Modem, and Modem: Global Village X2. Startup Items is empty. The
TCP/IP Control Panel has Connect via PPP, Configure Using PPP Server, and
the Name Server addresses my ISP specifies.

Now, given the Fax advisement, the machine does have Global Village's
GlobalFax FaxCenter installed, but I can't find a way to turn it off, or
even check to see if its turned on. It's not launching at Startup, and I'm
not running it before trying Remote Access. If I open it and go to FaxCenter
- SetUp - Receiving to see if there's some automatic 'listening' turned on
or some such, I just get the Ding noise and no dialogue box.

This machine was bought used, so I haven't installed everything on it and
don't have a solid basis to evaluate what should or shouldn't be removed or
uninstalled. I had a 280C and tried to install OS 7.5 new from diskettes
after wiping the hard drive, but got an error during the install and was
unable to complete the OS installation. Got the same error when re-trying
the same thing on a Duo230C. So my favored course of action, to install from
scratch so I know exactly what's on the machine, did not prove workable.

Any help would be very much appreciated, I'd really like to get this machine
up on the Internet to read mail and web browse!

Please cc: any reply to '270C at ev1.net' so I can be sure to get it. Thanks!

Richard
270c at ev1.net
duo280 at hotmail.com