[DuoList] Better End Than a Landfill

Ken Gillett ken at ukgb.net
Wed Dec 29 00:54:23 PST 2004

Just joined the list as I think it's about time I had a go at a project
I have in mind to make use of my 2300. Maybe I can get some more ideas
from you all.

I want to use it as an alarm clock.

Thing is, I've not yet found an alarm clock that does what I want, i.e.
perfect time keeping, different weekday/weekend alarms, auto turns off
after a preset period, station AND time shown in 'easy to read'
display, preferably stereo. Quite frankly Sony need shooting for the
utter crap they flog and the nearest I've come to finding what I need
is a Grundig unit that costs about 80 UKP and still isn't stereo.

My basic idea is to use the Duo, connected to the house ethernet
network (via the Ethernet Micro Dock I have) and with an ADB connected
FM radio by D2 that I also still have (I think it's stereo) and a pair
of AppleDesign powered speakers. Keeping the time correct is easy as I
run an NTP server that the other machines sync to and the radio works,
but it's the screen display that's trickiest. What I need is a screen
saver that will display the time and other text that I want (i.e.
station name - maybe that's not so important), probably slowly moving
around to avoid screen burn and I need to ensure the HD spins down and
stays down as much as possible and to ensure it doesn't 'wake up' (the
Duo, not me) at the slightest brush of the trackpad.

Physically I may also want to re-position the screen, possibly wall
mount with the Duo base in the drawer. That would require about an 18"
extension to the screen connecting cable - possible? I also have in
mind that in the future maybe I'd use X10 to turn the speakers on/off
as appropriate.

First of all I need to fix the ticking PSUs I've collected for the Dock
(they're ALL doing it now) although of course the Dock will only be
used for setup purposes. But in the meantime, has anyone any bright
ideas about my Duo alarm clock?

Ken  G i l l e t t