New to list-- 2400 won't start up- need experienced advice!

Sid Barras sbarris at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 8 19:38:29 PST 2004

Hi and greetings to all:

I'm on my third pb; I've owned and loved 1400s, wallstreets, and now a 2400.

It worked fine for a week. Then when I tried hooking it up to a chain of
SCSI devices, it wouldn't start.
I disconnected the chain after powering down, but the 2400 still won't
start. I get no happy or sad mac, but the screen does light up. Resetting
via the apple-control-power switch, and the button on the back don't help.
No GLOD, and it won't start from a compact flash card on a pc card I have
with a system folder installed on it either.

Neither will it start with the SCSI chain back together and connected with a
system software CD in the CD ROM drive.

I'm at a loss.

I was thinking maybe the computer is trying to start up from a remote device
which doesn't exist or it can't find a system folder.

Any ideas? Change the hard drive? I could swap one out of one of my
1400s....

I have looked at the various diagrams online regarding dissasembly and feel
it well within my means.

I also saw a page about cardbus upgrading, and determined mine was the
2400/180 with the two yellow jumper wires. This page said that in order to
enable the cardbus slots to recognize my USB to PC card, I simply had to
"cut the codes." Not cut the wires... Can anyone direct me to what "cut the
codes" means? That is, assuming I can correct the "non-green light of death"
that plagues my 2400 now.

Thanks in advance and many glad tidings from south Louisiana...

Sid Barras