Enabling USB on pb 2400--Not going as planned...

Sid Barras sbarris at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 16:36:51 PST 2004

Hi All,
While I was in the guts changing the RAM (112mb now!), and changing the SCSI
chain fuse in my pb 2400, I decided to go ahead and "cut the yellow jumpers"
and "turn on" the cardbus to read USB adapters.

Now that's done, and I've installed 9.1 OS, and made sure all of the "stock"
USB extensions were turned on.

When I started up with the MacAlly USB cardbus in the PCMCIA slot, it
wouldn't finish starting up. (Same thing happens on both 2400s that I've
"enabled."

With the card out, the machines start up fine, but when the USB card is then
inserted, and the printer hooked up to it, no luck. The USB port is not
listed in the paths for the chooser to find. Nor is it listed as a mounted
"accessory" for the Apple System profiler to find.

So, obviously, the USB card bus is not completely enabled, and I don't know
where to go next.

I don't think (I could be wrong) there is a specific "driver" I'm missing,
'coz the USB card works fine in my Wallstreet with only the Apple drivers
installed. But the Wallstreet is running 9.2.2...

Does the 2400 allow OS 9.2? I know you can't on the pb 1400; same class of
processor, 603e.

So, I know its been done, not like the 1400, so now what, guys? Different
driver? I have seen something called "USB support" in my drivers I've
downloaded over the months and years I've been doing this, but I thought
that once you got to sys 9.1, you got most of the drivers and support for
USB included in normal system software...

Help is appreciated, and always returned in kind when possible!

Sid B