More on bad keyboard

Jerry Levinson levinson at hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 8 16:37:15 PST 2004

I swapped keyboards between one 270c and another (one had a bad keyboard)
and found that the "new" keyboard works fine in the other PB, except for
the well-documented problem of having to hit the keys hard to get them to
work. I will follow the recommendations for cleaning its innards and see
if that fixes it. For a while.

The other 270c wouldn't boot, the HD would spin up but that's all. So
after I took out its keyboard for the swap, I removed its PRAM battery
which tested at 6.32v) planning to install it in the other PB. Just for
fun I plugged in the PB just to see what would happen with no PRAM battery
installed and, lo and behold, it booted up just fine. Seems all it needed
was a "complete" Power Manager reset: remove regular battery, disconnect
AC power, & disconnect PRAM battery for a couple of minutes.

No questions today, just a moral to the story: "Don't skip steps."

Thanks,
Jerry