[Duo2400] Using American Duos in Europe

Alex Santos 10MB Pakiet Mail misiewicz at poczta.tp.pl
Tue Jul 27 13:43:06 PDT 2004

Hi Fabian,

I  am listening to Otis reading, having a beer, lamenting the few duos
on eBay, all of poor quality, more or less. I spoke with a very nice
man via email, he had a great system for sale on ebay, his name is
Kevin J. Krandall. A very decent person, you get the feel after a few
emails. From what he told me, quote "At this point in time, any PC
under 700Mhz or any G3 Mac or lesser Mac is discarded, given to a
recyclers that melts all the stuff down to get the precious metals".
It's a very sad state of affairs, as you may agree. Any way, I was
unable to purchase the system from him at the moment. My wife is on
vacation. Since I live in Poland and do not speak the language, I am
unable to take care of any of the finances. This is all up to wife
primarily.

She may be back in a few days or at most in a couple of weeks.

About the duo you are willing to part with, but first a little about me.

My first macintosh was a mac IIx, man that was an impressive computer
at the time. I loved it. I gave that to my friend. My second mac was
years later, with the imac. It's funny, I haven't owned that many macs.
The imac went to a single parent's daughter for $50. Her daughter wants
to learn DTP. I kept her from buying a PC. She now has a nice mac
running 9.2.2. That made me and her happy for sure.

Right now I proudly own a very nice emac 1Ghz, it's a nice machine. I
love the all in ones from Apple. It's nice to know Apple got smart and
made affordable CPUs for us low incomes. Poland is not exactly your
first world nation.

There is a little ebay here in Poland,
http://www.allegro.pl/showcat.php?id=259&order=p&view=gtext will take
right to the Apple auctions. I bought myself a Newton 2100, accessories
and keyboard. Man was I happy with that purchase, believe it or not the
same person even had a 20th century macintosh for sale, it went for a
little less then $750 US. It was in excellent condition. Occasionally
you can find very nice items for sale. As everything is sold in Polish
Zloty, it's very cheap for Americans to buy stuff. I will leave you a
site that will snipe auctions, it's not free, but it costs about 15
cents for every successful snipe, it is in English, just sign up, here
is the site url http://www.snip.pl/en/reg/

Fabian, I would definitely be interested in purchasing the dock you
have, although I would eventually like to get a powerbook 2300, is it
compatible with the dock you want to sell?

Let me know. I can pay through western union, although I can't make the
purchase right away. I am a teacher and as such am on holiday, but
maybe I will talk with my wife. : )

Thanks for the offer, let me know more.

Sincerely
Alex Santos