Duo battery problem

Tom and Lisa P gionpeters at comcast.net
Sun Mar 7 18:08:26 PST 2004

I have a Duo battery problem that is really driving me nuts.  I have
have 6 Duo motherboards (almost one of each type) that have been
sitting in my house for over a year.   Recently, I brought them out,
fitted them into complete Duos and tried to get them to run off
batteries.  No go.  I tried the following:

1) reconditioning the batteries - I know the batteries are good now
becuase they will run several new duo motherboards I bought

2) typical power manager reset

3) using the ResetPwrMgr program

4) Zapping the PRAM

5) use various systems, from 7.1 to 8.1

No matter what I try,  the duos (other than the new ones I just
bought) will not work on batteries.  They see the batteries, they
will charge the batteries, but they will not run on battery power.  I
know I am making good contact from the battery to the motherboard
(used a multimeter).  They run fine from the dock or AC.  Its not the
PRAM battery either.  I can put charged up PRAMs on it, and it makes
no difference.

My latest theory is that the power manager "chip"/IC is hopelessly
corrupted.  Does anyone know which IC this is ?

thanks,

Mad Dog