OT: boys from Brazil (was: Re: pwr manager reset ?)

Nick Lowe n.lowe at rhul.ac.uk
Mon Mar 8 16:57:14 PST 2004

>Just curious. You probably get this a lot, Nick but
>are you the same Nick Lowe, the musician who was once
>a member of Rockpile and produced the early albums of
>Elvis Costello?

Well, yes, I do get this a lot, but there are plenty worse people to
be mistaken for. (Punch cartoon from the 70s, man addressing woman at
party: "Well, as far as I'm concerned, I AM the Frank Sinatra.") But
sadly, I'm no relation to anyone talented. I vividly remember the
first time a school chum said, "Hey, guess what, there's a guy in
Brinsley Schwartz has the same name as you!" "Ha-ha-ha-ha!" I
laughed. "Trying to cash in on my famous name; one day they'll be
asking him if he's THE Nick Lowe..." Three decades later later, the
jammy bastard still hasn't gone away. Still, I take consolation in
the fact that if I was him I'd have to be 55 years old, grey and
weathered, weighed down with riches, universally adored, related to
Johnny Cash, still basking in critical glory from the best album of
my career... Hang on a minute. Still, I bet he hasn't got as many
Duos.

I have to warn you there's a lot of us about; I still occasionally
get e-mail meant for the photo-collage artist, a divorced father
featured in a TV documentary about the Child Support Agency, the
defeated Natural Law Party candidate for Wrexham, and (most
frequently) a Thai Buddhist monk from Wigan, Lancs on whom there
seems to be some kind of bounty. (So far as I know these are separate
people.) I live in daily expectation of fan mail for the character at
the end of The Sot-Weed Factor.

Inicidentally, if you have my less famous namesake's rather wonderful
last album, the joke about Indian Queens is that Indian Queens is in
Cornwall. (If you don't, it's ok to scratch.)

Nick (the Unconvincer).