Slow internet pages

Don P. nodttiurp at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 20:13:11 PST 2004

As one of those ISP users still on the hard wired
modem connection, may I spill my guts?
Wouldn't it be great if there was a site where we
could go to figure out how to make the best out of our
old network connection situation? perhaps this line is
a start. My opinion, in order of importance:
#1 Hardwire connections!
I told my phone service that there was a lot of noise
on my line (Don't even mention anything other than a
voice connection!!!!!). They sent a guy that did a
trace all the way from a distant connect down to my
house entry. He said that there were several
old/corroded connections along the line that needed
fixing. When I also mentioned that I had a problem
with my modem, he made several suggestions. "Make sure
your in house connections are as simple/direct as
possible." Don't use splitters, multiple conects, etc.
....anything that will possibly impede the smooth flow
of those low power electrons to his newly "greased"
line are a possible impediment. Descriptive if not
scientific. I saw a dramatic improvement after this!
#2 Find an ISP that has a nearby, recent access # and
is relatively underused. I saw a dramatic improvement
after this!
#3 allocate the max. memory (use RamDoubler, not
Virtual Memory) and cache space that you can afford.
#4 Every ISP tech. that I've asked has said that
putting in a higher speed setting than indicated for
your hardware may help and won't hurt if it is only
slightly more. ???comments?
#5 use the latest Mac connection software that will
work on your hardware even if it doesn't "match" your
installed System.  ??comments??
#6 use the Browser that seems to work best for you.
OSX System seems to be faster on Safari (some of the
less polished Browsers may be faster). OS8.6 seems
best on Explorer. Older Systems seem to work better on
Navigator but the less polished Browsers may get into
this niche.
#7 use the appropriate software that was designed for
your modem.
#8 regardless of your browser, fine tune it for
yourself in the options/preferences for Java, etc.
(there are alot of 3rd party add-ons that claim a lot
of speedup for Popups, etc. ??comments??0

Don