[Duo2400] Re: Slow internet pages

Thomas G. Monclova samoht at bl.org
Tue Mar 9 10:04:07 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Don P. wrote:

> #3 allocate the max. memory (use RamDoubler, not
> Virtual Memory) and cache space that you can afford.

	Agreed.  This is key.

	As you likely know, hard disk access is much slower than RAM
access.  Whenever possible, and this is with Web browsers only, increase
the program's memory allocation (Finder:Get Info) and then within the
application, increase it's memory cache.  Try to find a nice balance
between memory cache and disk cache for browsing the Web.  For my PB 2300
(8.6, 48MB) I prefer memory cache to be 25% of the disk cache with the
disk cache not to exceed 50% of system memory (where system memory is 64MB
or less).  This improves the dial-up experience by making the system use
more of its RAM and HD.

	One caveat, is the use virtual memory as stated above.  It
increases the burden of the CPU to store system memory to the hard drive.
This overhead is compounded by browser cache being stored in memory and
then to the hard drive.  So, opt for one or the other, but not both.

increase virtual memory, negate browser disk cache and increase browser
RAM cache

	-OR-

decrease virtual memory to 1MB, increase disk cache and find a happy
medium for RAM cache

> #4 Every ISP tech. that I've asked has said that
> putting in a higher speed setting than indicated for
> your hardware may help and won't hurt if it is only
> slightly more. ???comments?

	In my experience this will work for computers with high speed
ports.  Different logicboard designs have highspeed serial ports and the
requisite interrupt handlers.

	The PB 2300 can drive data at 115,000 BPS through its single
modem/printer port, but the CPU responsiveness suffers drastically.
There's profound mouse lag where the cursor skips several inches of screen
realestate when I use it at its highest speed.  This made it impossible to
click on somthing when a page was loading.  The system is much more
responsive at lower speeds.

	I don't know if the 2400 LB is better (but I should think so).

	With modems, there are two serial port speeds to assign.  One is
the data speed for the modem going OUT to the ISP and back again to the
modem, and the other is from the modem to and from the computer itself.
Set the computer-modem speed lower for better CPU use (PB2300 and other
Duos), set the modem-ISP speed at higher than 57600 where possible.  The
old MacSlip dial-up software had this fine level of control.  Open
Transport does not (to my knowledge) but perhaps FreePPP does.

	Otherwise, you'll end up editing the modem script by hand (any
text editor will open the file; it lives in Extensions:Modem Scripts).
This is not for the faint of heart, and it will require a LOT of testing
to find the bestest speed possible.  Do this if you're the kind of person
who checks the oxygen sensor vs. fuel injector of your car's engine.

	It's very important to have a highspeed Mac modem cable for external
modems.  There are data signals for controlling the modem ("flow control")
that require all the pins in the connector to be active.  In fact, there's
a line in the Apple Internal 56K (v.34) file that reads..."This modem has
been setup to do CTS handshaking and we assume that a CTS handshaking
cable is being used."

	CTS is an acronym for modem-computer "clear to send" signals.
It's like saying "over" when using walkie-talkies.  When dealing with
modems, it's often called "hardware handshaking."

	Modem scripts and the special modem commands are rather technical,
but, I think, should be mentioned if this is a compendium.

	-t