[DuoList] Mystery of the disappearing hard drive

James kilfeder kilfeder at curlewfilms.com
Sat Oct 23 04:28:28 PDT 2004

I've had a mysterious problem with a new (to me) duo 280.

I was trying to make a ramdisk, andput a system folder on it. I
rebooted, and the internal hard disk had disappeared. I've made a
boot disk, and rebooted from it. Still no sign of the hard drive.
Then I made a ram disk, and put my emergency boot disk system folder
on the ram disk. When I boot up off that, and run Norton disk doctor,
disk doctor will claim that there is no problem on my still invisible
hard drive(except that the system clock does not match the control
panel clock). When disk doctor has got near the end of its task,  as
it begins the last of the six boxes, checking files, the hard drive
and all its contents will suddenly reappear. Disk doctor will say
that everything's fine. But when I start up again, there's no sign of
the hard drive again.

I've tried moving my emergency system folder onto the hard drive
(renaming the old system folder), and using the cdev 'startup disk'
to assign it. But still no joy.

Anyone able to explain, or suggest a way out?

James