[DuoList] Quicker booting with OS 8.6

JosephC22 at aol.com JosephC22 at aol.com
Sat Apr 9 12:15:23 PDT 2005

"Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG at aafes.com> on 4/7/05 1:01 PM wrote:

>I have OS 8.6 installed on my 2300 that I have all but restored
>from a parts machine (yahhh! Been a multiperson project).
>
>I am trying to find tricks, software, and other things to make
>this load and move quicker. When not docked, all things but
>minimum have been disabled. The system itself now only take
>7 meg of ram.:D
>
>What else can I do? Speed Doubler? Will all versions work?
>How about Startup Doubler... I've heard about that.  What else
>works great?
>
>   Thanks!  Doc Clu

I use both Startup Doubler and Speed Doubler 8.1.2 on my MacOS 8.6
PowerBook 1400. (I only have 44 MB RAM, so I also run Ram Doubler 9.)

The PB 1400 is a good machine, but it is notoriously slow to boot, even
with a G3 upgrade. Startup Doubler 2.7.3 makes a HUGE difference in boot
times on a 1400. On my original hard drive, it shaved a minute off my
boot time. After upgrading to a faster drive a couple years ago, I still
saw a 20 second improvement. It's worth downloading (
http://www.marcmoini.com ) for a trial, and it uninstalls easily if you
decide not to keep it. On the other hand, for folks with more recent
systems than Duos, the actual speedup is much smaller due to much faster
harder drives.

Speed Doubler helps, too, particularly with disk access. MacBench 5.0
benchmarks on my 1400 show roughly a 10% - 800% improvement on the
various disk scores with Speed Doubler running, and a 4% improvement on
CPU scores. In "real life", the system definitely feels more responsive
with Speed Doubler, but it is not a dramatic, "whole new system" kind of
thing...

I just bought a new 12" PowerBook a few weeks ago, so I'm not too sure
how long the 1400 will keep it's prominent place in my office.  :-0