[DuoList] can't install OS 9.

Randolphin rgore at newted.dyndns.org
Wed Apr 13 09:41:15 PDT 2005

Nick Clark wrote:

>  I have (OS 9.0.4, OS 9.1.? and OS 9.2.1).  I've
> tried every way I can think of to convince my computer to run one of
> these systems and something always pops up to tell me that this isn't
> going to work.
>
> Does anyone know a way to convince my computer to run OS 9, or,
> conversely, does anyone know a trick to install and run the Comcast
> software on OS 8.6?
>
> -Nick Clark

Nick,

	Just a few not so brilliant tips/questions.  Are you using a
universal install disks?  If it's a disk that came with another
system like an iMac or later powerbook it may not install on your
2400.  I think that 9.1 is the latest that'll install on your
system.  I think the 9.2.x  versions are for use as Classic OS
with MacOsX.  I am not sure at all what Comcast wants from your
2400 that isn't available in 8.6 that is in 9.1 but you might be
able to just install the control panels or the extensions that
Comcast thinks it needs.  It is most likely that Comcast just
doesn't want to bother supporting older machines and picked 9.x as
the cutoff to keep from having to help some poor souls with a Mac
Classic with system 7.1 trying to get on the Internet with a cable
modem.  If that's the case, you may be able to just put whatever
settings comcast wants in their proper place in 8.6 and hook-up
anyway.  I'd also bet that Comcast has the "right" software for
your system somewhere because I doubt they booted everyone off
their system with older Macs.  Look on their website or try
entering something like "Comcast MacOs8.6" into Google and see if
you get some better information about using your system with Comcast.

	It would also be a little helpful if you could remember or wrote
down the messages that the 2400 gave you reguarding why it
wouldn't allow installation. :-)

good luck,

Randy