[DuoList] PB2400c now booting with 1GB CF Card! But hard drive still spins-up when opening apps?

Gary F. Daught gfdaught at charter.net
Tue Dec 6 17:43:24 PST 2005

Greetings. Got my 1GB CompactFlash card and adapter. After a false
start, I remembered not to copy the system folder from the current
startup disk, so I booted from the OS 8.5 CD in the external drive,
and then copied the System Folder and Apps from the hard drive. Only
other set-up glitch was that the wireless card wouldn't work until I
moved it to the lower slot (and moved the CF card to the upper slot).
CF card is set as Startup disk and System Folder shows the happy Mac
face (so appears to be properly "blessed").

Everything appears to working with the CF card as the boot drive
EXCEPT for the fact that whenever I open folders with the "triangle
opener", launch applications or click on links in my web browser the
hard drive spins-up! I suspect this is NOT supposed to be happening
as it defeats the whole purpose of silently running and battery
saving from the CF card. What am I missing?

Also, I noticed that when I had the hard drive set as the Startup
disk and the CF card was inserted as a second disk there wasn't a
clear way for me to Eject the CF card since Cmd-E wouldn't work and
Eject was grayed-out in the Special Menu. I had to use a paper clip
to manually eject the disk during a restart since I couldn't unmount
the drive while in use. Is there a problem here? (Incidentally, I
initially initialized the CF card with OS Extended format from Erase
Disk... Is this OK?)

Thanks for your assistance!

Gary F. Daught
gfdaught at charter.net