[DuoList] Update on my PB2400c CompactFlash boot drive adventure (was Hard drive spin-up problem)

Gary F. Daught gfdaught at charter.net
Sun Dec 11 19:09:05 PST 2005

Greetings. Thanks for all the assistance I received on my adventure
adding a 1GB CompactFlash card as a boot drive on my PowerBook 2400c
(180MHz 603e/80MB RAM/Mac OS 8.6/ORiNOCO Gold wireless card). I
decided to erase my 1GB hard drive entirely, and it is currently
serving mainly as a storage drive. I will probably reinstall a fresh
OS and apps at some point, to have a backup. But it is kind of cool
currently running the 'book off CF! I have dedicated 160MB of the
card to Virtual Memory, but feel I still have plenty of space for my
routine activities. I may just load-up the hard drive with mp3s. I
can have all my key apps (IE, iTunes, IM, Word, and Accordance) open
at once. I don't really notice any speed improvement on OS or
application launch. But once open, everything feels pretty snappy. I
am now looking into seeing what else I can trim from the system to
speed-up booting and processing (e.g., extra fonts, QuickTime
components, switching to Audion as someone suggested, etc.).

Gary Daught
gfdaught at charter.net