[DuoList] cooling mods?

Tom and Lisa P gionpeters at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 15:39:37 PST 2005

>dunno if  i posted this here or not but has anyone ever done any duo
>cooling mods? the 280c i have runs HOT.. (cant hardly hold it)
>i got a suggestion on this board one time to remove the battery (since
>mine is dead) and that did take care of the heat problem... but it
>seems to have come back... with a vengance...  it seems to run normal
>speed wise.. and is still stable... so any input on this oddity is
>appreciated..
>__

When I rebuild Duos, I like to take off the apple supplied gap pad
(corrugated) and replace it with a full gap pad I get from
digikey.com (various thicknesses are available).  I tested the
operating temps and found the new gap pad seems to decrease the CPU
temp a few degrees, although I wont claim my methodology would stand
up to a peer review process. : )

If I was real gung ho I would find a thin but rigid copper plate to
sandwich in between the frame and CPU, making sure to insulate and
spots that might come in contact with the motherboard.  THe 2300 has
a thin "bat-wing" plate, but it is very thin.

Mad Dog