[DuoList] Wired Ethernet for 2400c woes! Argh!

Scott Strungis sstrungis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:54:18 PST 2005

Hi listers,

I am having trouble locating a working PC card for wired Ethernet for my 2400c.

I just got a Farallon combination card in the mail today.  It is one
of those 28.8/10baseT cards that has the flattish attacment on the end
with both jacks.  There is a rubber backing on the "dongle" to seat
the ethernet cable.

I installed the drivers that I got from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6748919965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I have two partitions on the 2400c, a 9.1 and an 8.5 backup booter.
The 9.1 partition is my daily driver.  I did the easy install.  Now
Alternate Ethernet is an option on the TCP/IP CP.  However, when I
plug the card in, it shows up, flickers a bit and does not get an
address from my working network at home.  Wannabe gives me a
connection error.  I tried to install the drivers on the clean 8.5
partition and NO NEW DRIVERS APPEAR IN THE TCP/IP CP.  The Farallon
Diagnostics do not see a card in the slot even though it appears on
the desktop.

I suspect that the "Alternate Ethernet" listing on my 9.1 folder comes
from an earlier attempt to get my Etherlink III card going with the
hacked Farallon driver that is floating around on the net.  Even
tthough I disabled the extensions before trying Farallon's installer,
it still shows as an option under TCP/IP under 9.1.  Sherlock finds
nothing called Alternate Ethernet or even Alternate on my HD.

I am getting really frustrated here.  I need wired Ethernet at work
and this is the second card that I have tried.  I even plugged in my
Netgear FA411 card.  It did not work either, though it DID show
another option in the TCP/IP settings.  No Mac drivers are available
from Netgear's www site.

Help!
S. Strungis
2400c / 80 megs / stock HD with 9.1 installed.  Currently wireless
with Lucent Orinoco drivers