[DuoList] Re: Hello Duo list

lopta lopta at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 11 23:40:50 PST 2005

Hello Greg, fancy meeting you here!  ;-)

   GG> So I have a 280c with a good working battery and in
     > good condition.

That's a precious thing, guard it well!  The previous owner
of my Duo 2300c bought a brand new third-party battery, but
then proceeded to cook it by leaving it in the Duo while it
was docked and permanently powered <sigh>.  Still, I'll be
able to use it where I have access to power and perhaps I'll
even attempt to rebuild one of the battery packs.

   GG> I think at this point I am wondering where I can find
     > good 68K programs for this 280c...Might actually lower
     > the operating system for more compatibility. Not sure.

I did that: upgraded from MacOS 8.something to 7.5.3.

   GG> Oh yeh... where can I get a Macintosh version of a
     > monitor and keyboard switchbox?  (So I can switch
     > between my bigger mac and the Duo) Just curious on
     > this one.

For the video side you may be able to use a Apple DB15->VGA
adaptor, and then a conventional PC KVM switch.  If you're
using an inexpensive mechanical switch, it may even be
possible to make some ADB adaptor cables, although ADB is
not supposed to be hot-plug (which might be an issue).  Come
to think of it, I haven't got the video out port on my Newer
Technologies UltraDock 16sce working yet, even with a
genuine Apple monitor.  It's no great loss though, the built
-in active-matrix colour display is nice.

- Andy.